Sunday, September 12, 2010

The Roxy

Last Friday, I went with some USal friends to a boliche that merits a review! I might even want to go back, which is not something I’ve really felt about a boliche yet. Listen to me: “I’ve never felt this way before!”

The Roxy was really fun. There are two huge rooms, one with pop music and the other with rock, both an interesting mix with some indie-eque stuff. A live band played a set in the rock room at one point – mostly covers of Nirvana, etc. – and they were really good! This also generated a mosh pit. My very first mosh pit! It was fun. I didn’t die. One situation in which my comparatively impressive stature is a definite plus!

The pop room was a sea of people – I literally felt like I was swimming at certain points – but they played Katy Perry and MGMT (you know you’d love it too), and we danced like fools, so it was fun.

Never in my life have I thought I’d be saying this, but if you don’t mind crowds and want to mosh, go here. The main attraction for me is the music, and the bathrooms are almost comically gross, but I had a time!*

*I’m not missing a word. “I had a time” was a perfectly acceptable expression until the 1950s or so. I still use it. Please adopt it! I love it.**

**More ridiculous and basically unnecessary asterisks! These are for you, Sko :)

3 comments:

  1. Ah I love the **'s! (Wait, did I start my other comment with an "Ah" too? Probs. I suppose I'm just very excited). And doesn't she use "have a time" in MSCL? I think I've used "have a day" because of trying to emulate it but getting it wrong. I will definitely try to make "have a time" happen. (Stop trying to make fetch happen. It's never going to happen.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! Haha. MSCL YES! I'd forgotten! I think it's a Rayanne-ism, but I believe I got it from Holden Caulfield.
    I'm still trying to make "fetch" happen :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been in a few mosh pits before, but usually it just involves me getting moshed. If I had your stature, I think they would be more fun. I just get stomped on and then get vindictive and mean. I just wait for quiet moments and then gently kick or scratch people around me.

    ReplyDelete