Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Reflection at 40%

Before I create my epic Iguazú entry and update my play reviews, I want to post THIS to continue with the monthly refection idea. (Look! the "main ideas" are in bold! how convenient)

So here's what's in my head on the first day of Spring in Buenos Aires:

Time is moving at a beautiful speed. So much has happened in the past two months: I've had lots of adventures, but more than that, I've essentially created a life here. So often in life I feel myself panicking about time, about it flying by before I can fill it up, but right now, I feel like five months will be perfect.

My last reflection focused mostly on the language. I think that at this point, (a) I've gotten used to being foreign and (b) my Spanish-speaking has improved to the point that my attitude has shifted considerably. I'm also actively trying not to be too hard on myself, a goal which has been proposed by many and the progress of which is being closely monitored by one Miss Robyn Davies - shout out :) To sum up, the language and I are pretty much besties.

Overall, I just feel so incredibly lucky to be here and to be doing what I'm doing. I've been having a lot of "life is SWEET" moments lately: traveling by swanky night-bus with my Vassar chicas; attending an exclusive interview with Mauricio Kartún, Argentine playwright-director superstar; and of course, getting to see play after play, usually not having to pay anything at all. Most recently, I felt lucky just sitting here in the lovely living room with the cat, drinking tea and listening to the National while reviewing verb tenses. (Please judge me so much for that whole sentence, it was totally worth it.)

To conclude...
Having been here for two months, I don't feel like I'm on vacation anymore: this is real life (well, the JYA version, but life nonetheless), and I prefer it that way. True Life: I live in Argentina! I miss my peeps in the States and will be so happy to return to you all, but I can't say I'm homesick. I'm excited for the three months ahead and ready for what they'll bring, some of which I know (loads more theater, warm weather, turning twenty-one, a visit from the fam) but most of which I can't yet predict. Bring it on, Bs As.

That's all for now, I believe. Stay tuned for breathtaking waterfall shots and comical night-bus experiences. As always, thanks for reading, I really appreciate it :)

With love and uncharacteristic fierceness,
y con besos y abrazos,

Isa

1 comment:

  1. about damn time i got another shout out. please dont say 40%, freaks me out, although today i did get nostalgic about Virginia while looking at a can a peanuts. figures. te quiero!!

    ReplyDelete