Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Rosario me hizo extrañarte, Buenos Aires...

On Saturday, I travelled with most of IFSA (my study abroad program) to Rosario, the third largest city in Argentina. It’s located 300 km northwest of Buenos Aires, on the western bank of the Paraná river. In short: the town is cute, the air is pure, the river is beautiful. I had a nice time, but it made me miss Buenos Aires.

We saw quite a bit on this trip, but didn't really do much, which was fine but makes this blogpost less interesting. I’ll keep it short. Here are some pics from walking around/our bus tour:

Me with Mario, director of IFSA, proudly representing Vassar:

We stumbled upon some outdoor theater! I wanted to stay and watch, but we sadly didn’t have the time...

Saturday evening, IFSA paid for a multi-course meal, which I enjoyed without documenting. We stayed overnight in the Holiday Inn Express*. SWANK. Zoé and I were roomies. We documented our reactions upon entering the abode:

The beds were unbelievably comfy. I wish we had had an extra day just for sleeping and watching “Harry Potter” en español, because we decided to go out Saturday night instead of giving in to my contagious lameosity.

Sunday brought more strolling about:
Me by the river:

We were good and looked at monuments:

...and ate some choripan:
To complement our bus tour, we took a boat tour, which was a serene experience, partly because we were all so sleepy. Here's a view out the window from one side of the boat:
...and from the other side:
The above image is of the island across the water from the city. A storm hit it recently, leaving the few houses in shambles. Quite the contrast.

There you have my Rosario. If you have a lot of time on your hands for exploring Argentina, I recommend it.

Besos,
Isa

Word of the day: la plata - n. Money. (lit. silver. The word "dinero" is hardly ever used here)

*In spite of the cushiness, I couldn’t forget that the hotel was eerily identical to hotels in the States. I started to feel like I was in a creepy study abroad limbo. It was nice to have some time to bond with my fellow yanquis, but it was nice to come back home, as well :)

1 comment:

  1. Last year I studied in Buenos Aires and stayed in a rent apartment Buenos Aires .
    I had an amazing time in the city!
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete