Monday, October 18, 2010

Reflection at 60%

I'm feeling uncharacteristically reluctant to write this entry, because I'm reluctant to summarize. But seeing as I have exactly two months left, I'd best get this done now. I suppose I'll just use my nearly-full Buenos Aires journal as a guide and write what jumps out at me.

This past month was very much a middle month. It brought Spring, but not real heat yet; preparations for exams, but no exams yet; and traces of homesickness along with the fear that my JYA time is flying by. I feel that I've really settled into daily life here, which on one hand makes me feel great - independent, confident, able - but on the other hand, brings the possibility of boredom and the challenge of making life interesting. My Spanish has also gotten to the point where I don't NEED to improve, but I still COULD improve plenty. To summarize (oh no!), I need to remind myself to make an effort now that life isn't demanding it from me.

I've been reflecting a lot about the ways in which I've changed - or perhaps better said, the things that Buenos Aires brings out in me. I have a lot of thoughts on the subject, and they're all positive, but I feel like I should wait until after the experience to reveal them! It blows my mind that I still have two months of change coming, because I already feel a profound difference. One thing I'll share is that I've been learning to be more present, conscious, etc., which goes along nicely with this middle month and will continue to serve me for months to come. ForEVER, I dare say.

I wrote this sentence at the beginning, but don't know where to put it: I feel secure enough in my porteña-ness to make myself PB&J. I feel that's very telling of this moment at 60%.

Thank you all so much for reading, it's super cool to be sharing this experience with all of you!

Love,
Isa

3 comments:

  1. I agree with the PB/J comment! I went to Starbucks the other day just because! And at a hostel with Andrea we watched American TV and just acted very American--there was an Australian woman totally judging us, but I was like I have Argentine residency lady don't mess with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your reflections always make so much sense to me. I mean, your word choice is so descriptive and insightful. Of course we are at different stages in our study abroad adventures, but I think there are certain experiences and emotions that we share. So, thank you for saying what I could not find the words for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE your blogs! Thank you for bringing us along for the ride as much as you do! 'Love you, Izzy!

    ReplyDelete