Tuesday, October 12, 2010

"Amante del amor"

18 of Shakespeare's sonnets, newly translated into Spanish. A black-box theater, five actors, two small tables, a chair, and a small proscenium-arch set piece. Quite lovely!

I had the privilege of attending an interview with the director, Helena Tritek. She talked about "using the images that the sonnets awakened for her" instead of sticking to "correct" interpretations of what the sonnets meant to Shakespeare. The result was beautiful. Seeing this performance made me reflect on "I burn, I pine, I perish," a Shakespeare-based project I directed last Spring at Vassar, and gave me some new thoughts as to working with good ol' Bill.* What impressed me most about this performance was the sense of play throughout. There was a tangible Commedia dell'arte influence, and the actors fully committed to the silliness and the sorrow alike.

*Bill. As in William. Get it? So as not to repeat myself within sentences. Heh.

No comments:

Post a Comment