Thursday, July 29, 2010

Mi Vida Porteña

I think it took me a few days to fully realize where I was. 16 hours of travel to a completely new environment can be a little disorienting. But now I’m well past the initial daze, and I feel incredibly lucky to be here. I hope five months will be enough!

To explain my situation a bit, for clarity’s sake:

1) I’ve had orientation at IFSA (the study abroad program) for most of the day every weekday. Learning about the city, practicing Spanish, preparing for classes, etc. It’s been nice getting to know the other Americans – we are about 150 total, including 6 Vassar-folk :)

2) I live with a WONDERFUL host family. THE BEST. Mother, 21-year-old sister, and adorable, adoring cat.

3) Classes start next Monday: I’ll be taking 5 classes, most of which will be at local universities with Argentinean students. I plan to continue studying drama while here: Buenos Aires has an incredibly active theater scene.

I can already feel that my Spanish – especially my ability to understand – has improved considerably. The road to fluency is paved with humiliation, but it can be a fun ride if you let it be. (Oh, how I amuse myself with my wisdom)

At first, I was easily identified as being from the States everywhere I went, but now I guess I’ve acquired some sort of Argentinean essence, because I’ve been asked for directions – by Argentineans – several times. Sometimes I’ve even been able to answer! I’ve also started drinking tea multiple times a day, and eating dinner around 10 pm – the schedule here was made for me.

Pictures coming SO SOON (as soon as I can get them to upload...blegh)

Besos,

Isabella

No comments:

Post a Comment